So, I took the extra 5 minutes to install it using Pyrus and decided to document how to do it for a completely self-contained PHPUnit install.
First, create a directory to store phpunit:
With pyrus, set the bin_dir so phpunit will be installed to ~/phpunit/bin/phpunit
pyrus `pwd` set bin_dir `pwd`/bin
Next, we need to get around ez component’s stupid channel which doesn’t support HTTP properly (bug detailed here: https://github.com/pyrus/Pyrus/issues/32):
pyrus `pwd` install http://components.ez.no/get/ConsoleTools-1.6.1.tgz http://components.ez.no/get/Base-1.8.tgz pear.phpunit.de/PHPUnit
Here we just install the ez components by using the direct path to the latest releases, followed by pear.phpunit.de/PHPUnit.
Once you’ve got it installed, you should set the include_path on the bin/phpunit dir to where the files are located.
You can do this by adding the include_path to the first line of bin/phpunit:
#!/usr/bin/php -d include_path=/Users/bbieber/phpunit/php
End result, a completely localized PHPUnit install.